Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Either I am totally right or I'm developing Aspergers. YOU DECIDE!

As much as I don't want this blog to become my own little emo bully pulpit where I only talk about the things that anger me, it seems like those kinds of things are what get me motivated enough to sit down and start typing. To make matters even more depressing, the things that anger me usually have to do with the internet since that is where most of my social interaction comes from these days. Maybe I should explain my situation and get it off my chest so you can understand what I am talking about.

A couple days ago, I was very sick all day. I had absolutely horrible pains in my gut and I would have left work if I thought that the walk to the train station was possible in my condition. Basically, I just sat at my desk and waited until it was time to go. When I finally got home, I went right to my bed and slept for 3 1/2 hours straight. Eventually my wife woke me up since she was worried about me, and luckily for me, I felt better. We went to get some dinner so I could get some fresh air and food in my system. We got home late and my wife went to bed but due to sleeping earlier, there was no way I could fall asleep. Time ticked away as I surfed the internet all night. I looked at the clock and it was already 1:30 in the morning. Now this gets to the part where the problems (aside from not feeling well and not being able to sleep) begin. I will preface it with the fact that I know it may seem asinine but it was important to me at the time and what came next is what really irked me. I decide to read my Twitter feed and right there at the top was a major spoiler of the X-Men member that had died in X-Force #26 which had come out two days prior. Due to the fact that my comic store was sold out, I couldn't read it and I was doing everything not to be spoiled. I didn't read message boards, I didn't go to CBR or Newsarama, I did everything I could. I don't think it is too much that I was disappointed. Who likes things ruined for them? Do you want go to a movie and then someone tell you the end as soon as you buy your ticket? I decide to reply and say "DUDE, WTF. SPOILERS." I was pissed and that was all I could think to say at first. I then said that I had been trying not to be spoiled. I did eventually get to sleep at around 2:45 in the morning. Then I awoke to find this greeting me when I turn on my computer:

"for anyone out there who thinks i "ruined" second coming for them lasr [sic] night...grow up, this is the internet age. it isnt even half way over"

This is what turned me into a mushroom cloud. A simple "sorry" would have been enough (and those five letters would have been easier to type too), but no. I get told to grow up in the most condescending way possible. So you're saying I can't be disappointed that the pivotal plot point of the book that I wanted to read but could not purchase was told to me? Is that what you are saying? Ya know, the whole spoiler phenomenon is not that big a deal to me normally but since I couldn't buy the book, I just wanted to read it myself. Is that too much to ask? Now I have been thinking about this since it happened. It drives me nuts. I know that it may seem petty to a lot of people and I own that fact, but I was still disappointed. Being "spoiled" isn't even why I am angry! The ire comes from the "holier than thou" and "I'm better than you" response that I got in return. Am I right or crazy or both? I don't know anymore and I need to stop thinking about it. Writing it out helps. Thanks for listening to my rant anyway. It is always good to get stuff off your chest I guess.

No comments: