Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This is the kinda book I'm talking about!


It happened again. I had an idea in my mind on what I wanted to read and write about for my next foray into the longboxes, but before I even finished the comics I had grabbed, my plan totally changed. (Actually I am loving the fact that my plans have been changing so organically. It really is an interesting phenomenon that I didn't expect when I started doing this.) Everything changed this time due to the fact that I read a single issue that probably best exemplifies the type of crazy stuff you can find when you dig through your old collections or the piles of books at a convention or the cheap bins at your local comic store. This comic deserves a post all its own. I give you Obnoxio The Clown Vs. The X-Men.

Just look at that cover. Bask in it. That is comic gold you see before you that I unearthed a few years ago at a convention for a quarter. Written and drawn by Alan Kupperburg, the titular Obnoxio the Clown is hired by Professor X to perform at Kitty Pryde's birthday party. Basically, the plot is that the X-Men think Obnoxio is an intruder and try to apprehend him, and hilarity ensues. How could you not enjoy reading about a filthy, pock-ridden, foulmouthed clown going toe to toe with Marvel's band of merry mutants? In the end, the X-Men discover that Obnoxio is not the intruder they are after. It was actually a mutant that can change his body into ice cream. Oh it gets better. This super villain's name is Eye-Scream. Wow...just wow. After some internet digging, I found that the character of Obnoxio the Clown was created by Larry Hama as the mascot of the humor magazine Crazy that Marvel put out in the 70's and early 80's. Yes, it was the same Larry Hama that wrote so many of the now famous issues of G.I. Joe. It is these kinds of book that make diving into a quarter bin worthwhile. This is Marvel history right here folks, much like The Star Wars Holiday Special is part of George Lucas's history. They may not want to remember it, but there it is, and I am proud to have it in my collection. I almost wish that they would remake this comic now that the Comics Code no longer prevents any real off-color comedy. This could really be something. I challenge you Marvel Comics. Bring back Obnoxio!

The last little thing I wanted to quickly mention was on Bullpen Bulletins page. (For those who don't know, the Bullpen Bulletins page was full of info about other Marvel books and letters from the fans. What caught my eye was an ad for Blip #1. I had never heard of this so I looked at the blurb. To my surprise, apparently Marvel Comics published a video gaming magazine in the 80's that in their words was "the most fun-packed and fact-packed Video Games magazine around." Guess what the cover article is: "Blip Tips: How to beat Centipede & Missile Command." Wow, now that is old. Look at how much of a history lesson you can get from one comic book!

No comments: