Friday, April 9, 2010

Getting ready for C2E2


It is really weird. I seems like only weeks ago that I heard the news that a new comic book convention was coming to town. It's actually been more than a year since the initial announcement, and now C2E2 is only a week away. I have decided that I am going to play this con cool. What I mean is that I'm going more to see people I know and to socialize and not really worry about buying a whole lot of stuff. This is mainly due to the fact that I need the money for my upcoming trip to Europe and also because there will be a lot of people I want to see, taking stuff home from McCormick Place is not as easy as from the Rosemont Convention Center, and less purchases equals less clutter in my apartment. I'm not saying that I won't dive in some longboxes, but I plan to rigidly stick to the list of issues I need to complete some runs. (Thank you ComicbookDB for making it so easy to keep an organized list or what I am looking for.)

There is one thing though that I am taking some time and preparing for next weekend. I have never really been very organized when it comes to the commissioned art pieces that I have bought at cons. I've meant to fix this oversight but I really didn't know how to do it. From what I read on the internet and hear in podcasts, most people have a sketchbook and have artists draw in those. Now I am only speaking for myself but I just don't get sketchbooks. The idea doesn't work for me. First, having a sketchbook limits you at a con since the first artist you get a commission from has to take the sketchbook. You are out of luck until he or she is done. That means either you just write that time off or you plan like crazy ahead of time to make sure you take the book to each artist you want one after the other and hope they have time left to do it. The other problem I have is the fact that I like having the oppurtunity to frame a piece if I really love it (and the wife approves). You can't do that if the commission is in a sketchbook. So after spending some time at some office supply stores and online, here is the answer that I have come up with: the TOPS 11x17 Executive Showfile. (Even that name makes it sound important.) With a big enough size to fit all the art that I bought at cons before and the freedom to get more than one piece at a time and display them how I want, the showfile is perfect for me. I don't want people to think that I am insulting them if they have a sketchbook. I have seen some amazing books where every drawing fits a theme (for instance "The Many Deaths of Strawberry Shortcake" and "Gambit fighting an alligator"). Sketchbooks just aren't for me though and I am excited about the new alternative that I have found.

No comments: